Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Net Passwords

Increasingly our lives on the internet require more and more passwords, logins and usernames. Like most people I really struggle to remember them all. So the question is why can't I have a universal login.
Our digital lives seem fractured but the seemingly thousands of identities we hold.

There are obvious security issues. However I propose that you can dock your login information with one service. For example I created this fictional company "ID Pass". So they hold your login user names and passwords for the website you designate. This means that when you go to login on a random forum you rarely go to, you instead use your ID-Pass login. The site then securely communicates with the ID-Pass server recovers you login information and allows you access in.

This is not to say you have to list all your logins with one service. Keep your PayPal and Gmail separate if need be.
As far as I am concerned I have hundreds of logins to places where I don't have secure information but rather just have a username so I can post and view content.

How about creating a digital identity. It can be your universal self in the growing network of individual logins.

These are just my thoughts. What do you think?
Have I overlooked a huge logic flaw?

*Note: I have just invented id-pass company, I'm not sure whether a company exists under that name, I just am merely making a fictional company to demonstrate a point.

1 comment:

  1. This is what Microsoft Passport was supposed to be. But there are things that help... such as letting chrome remember your passwords. Or use a password sync like LastPass...
    Also many websites are using your facebook account for login these days.
    The problem lies in the open form of the internet. For a universal login, you'd need an internet overlord... that ain't gunna happen. Unless Zuckerburg has babies with Google or something.

    ReplyDelete